Sunday morning, I woke up to some wonderful news. Actually, when I saw the email from Pixie Forest Publishing with the title, “Decision for The Dragon’s Family,” I was prepared for another disappointment at being once again being rejected. Then I read this:
Thank you for submitting your short story “The Dragon’s Family” to Pixie Forest Publishing’s modern fantasy anthology. We really appreciate you letting us consider your story. After much consideration, we have decided we would love to include your story in our anthology.
I was still swilling coffee and trying to wake up, but at that moment, I could have been dancing on air.
Later, I found out that there had been 62 submissions to the “Magical Reality” anthology, and only 11 stories had been picked, including mine, “The Dragon’s Family.”
There was also an invitation to join a private author’s group on Facebook. I was already a member of their public Facebook page, but on the private page, the authors and publishers/owners can interact more candidly.
“Pixie Forest” is a smaller publishing house just getting off the ground. On their website’s publications page, they have only one book out so far, Love Dust, published at the end of last August. So far, out of 11 customer reviews, 91% have been Five Star with the remaining 9% being Four Star, which is pretty fabulous.
I’ve been told that the publishers are shooting for March 1st as the publication date for the hard copy of “Magical Reality,” with the e-book version available for pre-order in February.
The theme for this anthology is fantasy that occurs in our real world. After some internal deliberation, I chose to adapt the very first story I ever wrote for my grandson two-and-a-half years ago, originally called, “The Day a Dragon Came to Live with Us.” I made the online version on my blog private so it can no longer be viewed. The edited version which will appear in the anthology is called “The Dragon’s Family,” and chronicles the events of a retired Grandpa and his widowed son finding and sheltering a wounded dragon in their home with the son’s two young children, a seven-year-old boy and a 14-month-old girl. It’s a tale of mutual loss and pain and healing.
I don’t make New Years resolutions, since the arbitrary beginning of a new calendar year doesn’t have to mean a sudden increase in motivation and effort, but a day or two before, just within myself, I was determined to double down on my writing efforts so that 2019 would be the year my fiction was published.
That happened pretty quickly. Hopefully, this is just the beginning.
I re-read my master copy of the story and saw ways I could improve upon it. I think there’ll be a window available for edits, so I can further smooth out some of the remaining rough bits.
I can’t tell you how thrilled I am at this prospect. I know, I’m not on the New York Times bestseller’s list and I’m not likely to win any awards, much less fame and glory, but after nearly a year of seriously trying to get my fiction published, it’s good to see this accomplishment.
Oh, besides telling my wife about all this Sunday morning, I waited until I could see my grandson Landon, now almost ten-years-old, that evening about the good news. I wasn’t sure how he was going to react, but he was thrilled, both that I’d been published and because it was a story I’d written for him. Afterward, we continued to work on our current project which is to mutually author his first fantasy novel.
Thank you Donise and Jensen at Pixie Forest for liking (loving) my wee tale enough to let it see the light of day, and hopefully many readers will find it within the pages of “Magical Reality” and enjoy it as well.
I can’t wait to read the other stories in the anthology.